Wednesday, March 8, 2017

International Womens Day


Happy International Women's Day! March 8th, around the world, Advocates for Women's rights & equality unite in action to raise awareness. There are many many events occurring this week to bring women & men together to learn about this  issues, raise awareness & funds, to share successes and challenges. So, as I am not out and about at present (laying low on rehab), I thought I'd post some of my thoughts about IWD. I was encouraged to do this when I read this post

This is direct from the IWD website..

This is direct from the IWD website..
Use International Women's Day (IWD) on March 8 as an important opportunity to:
  • celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women because visibility and awareness help drive positive change for women
  • declare bold actions you'll take as an individual or organization to help progress the gender agenda because purposeful action can accelerate gender parity across the world
For me, its a time to reassess and focus. So I did a bit of a brainstorm of what came to mind when I think of IWD. I came up with 5 points of focus. 
  1. Its important to take time and effort to notice the power & influence women can have towards change. I thought of three areas to think about 
    • In small ways - i thought about how some women in my life modelled womenhood to me.. my piano teacher, school bus driver, my driving instructor, and my neighbour.  
    • In louder ways - i thought about those in the public sphere who can use their own position to affect change, like journalists, actors, authors and activists.  
    • And then theres the longer term ways - and I thought of people like Mother Theresa.
  2.  Another important aspect of IWD is the value of celebrating the contribution of women & men towards the goals of equality and fairness. Many of you know I support a girls school & hostel in India. I have to say a huge thanks to the number of men who help in that campaign. They do make a difference..  
  3. IWD reminds me to stay focused on looking for opportunities to seek out better fairness and equality for women.. its important to notice the wrongs, and act where I can, or support action if I cant do it myself.  
  4. I am often in awe of the internal strength and power of women. I know this is a characteristic of many women that sustains us. its important to celebrate that power 
  5. Finally, IWD, is a time for me to re declare, that I want to live out my life being the best woman I can be. 


Celebrating Love: My latest colouring in from Johanna Basfords, Secret Garden. 


1 comment:

Jeanie said...

I love your fifth point especially, declaring to live life as the best woman you can be. Amen to that!