Sunday, April 10, 2011

Garlic by the dozens!

I found this gorgeous picture here along with useful tips on gr owning garlic.

I was inspired to grow a crop of garlic this year by a few bloggers - including Thyme to Garden Now who is a northern hemisphere gardener, so when they reported on their crop surviving winter I thought maybe now's the time to get my garlic in. Today I've cleared the site, tilled the earth and added fresh compost. Then I planted more that 30 garlic bulbs!

I found these articles helpful in planning my garlic planning - Covertess, Kitchen gardeners (and this youtube) but mostly I appreciate the advice of some Australian organic gardeners like green harvest.

So, now I sit back and relax as my garlic will take up to 8 months to mature. Then I probably
wont need to buy garlic ever again!

I have a few bulbs left that I couldn't find room to plant - anyone with a favourite garlic recipe for me to try??

3 comments:

ds said...

I grow a lot of herbs in summer (in a window box) but have never tried garlic. Perhaps it's time now. Thank you!

Jeanie said...

I've never done this, always wanted to -- was sort of nervous! Maybe I'll give it a shot -- I might still have time! Oh, wait -- we're six months apart!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to grow garlic! It is, after all, one of my favorite cooking ingredients and, in my opinion, the Grand Funk Master Flex of flavor-givers. I mean, yowza! When you taste garlic, you know you're tasting garlic. So thanks for the great tips/points in the right direction. Any chance you know if they can be grown in window boxes, at least while I'm still living this life we call the college one?