Sunday, January 24, 2010

Happy New Year!



Wishing you all a very Happy New Year, and may all your hopes and dreams come true.

I've definitely been on a blogging break, and during that time have reflected more about the reason I blog and what it means to me to continue, or not. I haven't yet got answers, but my thoughts have been progressing.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I haven't been able to find time to blog, I even feel guilty sometimes that I haven't finished reading new books to review, or that my reviews aren't really interesting. But as I look back over the past few weeks, I have had none of these feelings. Life has been full, and I've been pretty content with what's been going on and all that which has kept me away from the computer.

Of course, there was Christmas. And in one of my volunteer roles, I was asked to attend a Christmas Lights display on behalf of my branch, to help raise funds. I did this, with some friends, in the weeks leading up to Christmas, and I have to say, it was just a lovely way to spend a those nights - hanging out with others who love Christmas, listening to carols, and talking with locals and visitors about the work we do as volunteers.

Between Christmas and when I was due t return to work, parts of Central-Western NSW were inundated with flood waters. This is one the the challenges of living in Australia, extremes in weather. One minute we're in drought, and the next we're in flood. These floods may be for some, just what was needed to save their livelihood for another season or two. For others though, much was lost.

I had the opportunity to go to the flood affected area's, for 9 days, to assist with recovery and relief, and to spend time with the affected communities, learning more about what this would mean for them. I really enjoyed my time out west, and I value the opportunity I had to sit with new friends and learn more about life in Australia.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas Season, wherever you spent it, and I look forward to getting back to blogging as my life settles down into 2010.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi T - I have missed you in the blogging world so glad to have you back! I didn't even know you were out at the flood areas - you have been very busy.