Monday, January 5, 2009

New Years Resolutions

I'm not a serious blogger, and I don't want to set myself up for those inevitable feelings of guilt when I'm not able to commit to something regularly. So I'm not sure yet if I'm signing up for the Blog Improvement Project (BIP), but I have been captured by the first step in the project..... setting blogging goals. The first question to consider in the BIP is 'what's your blog for?'.

This is a questions I've been pondering for a while now, and I don't know if I have much more of an answer than I like to think about things and write about them. I enjoy writing. I recently sent the link to my mum to keep her in the loop. She asked 'who reads this?' and 'what's it all about?'. I have wondered these things myself, and I'm happy just to think that I read and reread it, and if other people join me in this journey that's great.

The BIP site suggests that improving your blog is a good thing, and in the course of the next year disccuions will occur on "possible topics includ[ing] goals setting, writing better content, building community with readers, getting more readers, and blog layout and design". I am attracted to the idea of building community with readers..

So in 2009, my blog is primarily a blank canvass for my wandering thoughts. I think I'll stick to things about gardening, tea and teapots, and books/movies. Some of my blogging goals include
  • keep the posts breif
  • improve the links - especially to differentiate my gardening posts from my book/movie posts
  • promote ethical, environmental and socially just ways of living (and aim to do this myself)
  • make links with others in the blogging community
  • have fun :)

1 comment:

jem said...

I think its all too easy to lose sight of what you wanted to write the blog for.

I regularly check in with my blogs and ask, whats happening, am I happy with whats happening, do I need to adjust anything, less of something, more of something else?

And first and foremost, am I enjoying this?

Good luck with your blogging year!