Saturday, July 25, 2015

Paris in July - a discussion starter

Tonight's stage of Le Tour de France includes this Alpe!
In 2011, my partner and I went to France to watch and ride parts of Le Tour de France. Tonight's race up Alpe d'Huez is a special one for me. This particular stage of the race reminds me just how strong and capable I am - 4 years ago I rode up Alpe d'Huez. Maybe not as fast as the pro's will tonight, but I did it.

Tonight I will be celebrating my love of France by staying up (its on in the middle of the night here) to watch the race, the commentary, the scenery, the crowds - but more importantly - remember the day I stood on the side of this mountain cheering on the Aussies - and specifically Cadel. Tonight, I doubt there will be an Aussie in the top guns, they haven't had a good year, but it will be a great race anyway.

Now back to Paris in July and a discussion starter posed by Mel U from a Reading Life. Mel asked

I was wondering, who do Paris in July participants feel are the three to five most culturally important Parisians of the 20th century?

My pics are Coco Chanel (post coming on The Reading Life), Sarte, and Prous
So post your thoughts in the comments below. Lets see what similarities or differences we find...

11 comments:

Tamara said...

Here's my suggestions - Albert Camus, Maurice Ravel (Bolero) and Igor Stravinsky, and I might add Jacques Chirac and Claude Debussy.

Mae Travels said...

I agree with Igor Stravinsky, and I think other culturally important Parisians of the 20th century were Picasso and Gertrude Stein. Interesting that none are French but all Parisian.

Louise said...

OMG I'm in awe! You did Alpe D'Huez. Well done, what an achievement.

I'll have to think about the question, but do very much like your suggestions.

Louise said...

BTW I'm up watching Alpe D'Huez too.

Ally said...

I was thinking about Stein, but I will go with Francoise Sagan, Jean Paul Gautier and Vanessa Paradis :) Oh,and Simone de Beauvoir

Lisbeth said...

Well done doing the Alpe D'Huez. I sure wouldn't be able to do it. Hmm, maybe with my e-bike! Is that allowed? Enjoy your watching. Are there any Aussie bikers?

Interesting choices, but not all of them French!!

I would probably go for Simon de Beauvoir, Jean-Paul Sartre, Proust, Coco Chanel (I liked your review Mel, must read the book), George Sand.

Mae Travels said...

Interesting choices, all.

George Sand lived from 1804 to 1876, so I'm not sure she's a 20th century figure as the question asked.

Brona said...

Coco for sure! Maybe also Edith Piaf.

Sharon said...

Very impressed at your stamina! I saw Mel's question on her blog and thought it was a great question. Simone de Beauvoir and Edith Piaf were the first names to spring to mind, looking forward to seeing who gets suggested. Simone de Beauvoir is definitely high up on the list for me.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

Wonderful memories as you celebrate this evening! Well done, much to be proud of, Tamara :)

who do I feel are the three to five most culturally important Parisians of the 20th century?
Simone Weil - I should have read one of her books for Paris in July!
Oscar-Claude Monet - definitely!
a couple of my contributions to the discussion...

Jeanie said...


Well, first of all, Alpe d'Huez? Holy maloley! That is incredible -- I must tell Rick! Bravo!

I would agree with all of these, but even more than any mentioned I'd add Rose Valland. She was the woman who was curator at the Jeu du Palme and who catalogued the paintings that were being removed by the Nazis from the museum, along with many private works of art, during WWII. Without her contributions, much art may well have disappeared and that would affect us all. (As a somewhat fictionalized version, Cate Blanchett played her part in "The Monuments Men." Her role was even greater than the film had time to explore.)